United Way for Greater Austin (UWATX)
Job Opportunity: Director of Human Capital
Department: Human Capital and Operations
Regular Full-time, Exempt
Who we are:
United Way for Greater Austin (United Way ATX) brings people, ideas, and resources together to fight poverty in our community. Through our focus areas of Education, Health and Financial Stability, we build opportunity for all people in Greater Austin. We unite the community around collective goals, strategically invest in partners, and execute proven programs that make a real difference for children and families. Something special happens when we Live United.
What we offer:
The Human Capital Director is a self-directed and innovative individual who manages core HC responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, performance management, recruitment and onboarding, policy implementation and employment law compliance. You perform day-to-day HC operations with an eye for detail and efficiency. As a strong problem-solver and implementer, you will lead the Human Capital and Operations department in driving UWATX’s overall talent management strategy with the goal of attracting, developing and retaining the staff required to achieve organizational goals. You will provide strategic direction and support around the effective design and delivery of processes including recruiting, onboarding, compensation, benefits, payroll, performance management, learning and development, workforce planning, diversity, recognition, employee engagement, organizational culture and communications, compliance and recordkeeping, and HR metrics. Human Capital Director will have two direct reports and internships throughout the year for our team of 85 employees.
- Optimizes work processes: Identifies and creates the processes necessary to get work done. Separates and combines activities into efficient workflow. Designs processes and procedures that allow managing from a distance. Seeks ways to improve processes, from small tweaks to complete reengineering.
- Manages complexity: Asks the right questions to accurately analyze situations. Acquires data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems. Uncovers root causes to difficult problems. Evaluates pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options.
- Drives results: Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve results.
- Cultivates innovation: Comes up with useful ideas that are new, better, or unique. Introduces new ways of looking at problems. Can take a creative idea and put it into practice. Encourages diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation.
- Decision quality: Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information. Relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment when making decisions. Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles. Recognizes when a quick 80% solution will suffice.
- Interpersonal savvy: Relates comfortably with people across levels, functions, culture, and geography. Acts with diplomacy and tact. Builds rapport in an open, friendly, and accepting way. Builds constructive relationships with people both similar and different to themselves.
- Communicates effectively: Is effective in a variety of communication settings;one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
- Instills trust: Follows through on commitments. Is seen as direct and truthful. Keeps confidences. Practices what he/she preaches. Shows consistency between words and actions.
- Being resilient: Is confident under pressure. Handles and manages crises effectively. Maintains a positive attitude despite adversity. Bounces back from setbacks. Grows from hardships and negative experiences.
- Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives, including leadership team. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Human Resources Management, Business or related field strongly preferred, 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resource management
- PHR or equivalent SHRM certification preferred
- Demonstrated mastery of HR management and strategy in the areas of recruitment and onboarding, performance management, employee relations, benefits, training, HR law and compliance
- A high degree of initiative to understand new regulations, best practices and drive projects to completion
- A strong ability to adapt to changes in the work environment and manage competing demands
- Excellent planning and organizing skills with an ability to effectively prioritize, plan work activities, use time efficiently
- Superior degree of emotional intelligence and ability to interact with and support employees and managers on a variety of HR and management needs
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems administration, Paycom experience a plus
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional, fast-paced work environment
Notice: The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Management has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. UWATX is an at-will employer.
This position is located in Austin, Texas and reports directly to the Chief Operations Officer.