Job Title: Community Housing Specialist
Department: Client Services
Program: Supportive Housing
Reports To: Supportive Housing Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full Time
COVID-19 Vaccine Required but subject to recognized exemptions
The Community Housing Specialist (CHS) will oversee and coordinate housing outreach efforts for the Supportive Housing Program. The CHS collaborates with program staff, clients, and property managers to identify, secure, and maintain housing placements. The CHS is an integral part of the supportive housing team, ensuring that clients no longer experience homelessness and have the necessary supports to maintain housing stability. The CHS increases access to both private and public rental properties throughout Austin/Travis County.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (inclusive but not exhaustive):
- Establish relationships with property managers to assist in locating appropriate housing for individuals who may have multiple barriers to obtaining permanent housing
- Maintain landlord relationships and develop/maintain database on properties and landlord contacts
- Develop outreach materials and agreements with property managers that will provide rental units to help homeless or previously homeless individuals access and maintain permanent housing
- Develop/coordinate training events for landlords
- Develop & implement internal referral process
- Coordinate housing placement efforts with referring PSH Case Manager
- Meet with program participants to complete Housing Location intake
- Meet, as needed, with participants to assist with housing search and applications
- Perform and document unit move-in inspections per Habitability Standards
- Maintain statistics and provide reports on a monthly basis
- Transport clients to properties during the housing search as needed
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision
- High School Diploma/GED Required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- 1 – 3 years of direct experience in property management, real estate, housing locating, and/or housing clients with significant barriers required.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with people experiencing homelessness, mental health disorders, and/or substance use, preferred
- Knowledge and skills in identifying affordable permanent housing units preferred.
- Experience with property management, real estate and/or housing inspection highly preferred.
- Nonprofit experience (volunteer or paid) and understanding social service programs preferred.
- Knowledge of housing market trends within Travis and surrounding counties
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 30 days of employment and have access to dependable transportation.
- Experience with internet, MS Office, and databases required. HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) experience preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred
- Base Salary Range: $36,000-$45,000.
- Employer paid health, dental, vision, life, short term disability, and long term disability insurance for employees.
- 13 Paid Holidays per year.
- 20 days of accrued PTO in year one with increases up to 31 days per year.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Discounted Rates on Gold’s Gym and Legal Shield memberships.
- Mileage Reimbursement.
- Monthly Phone Stipend.
- Monthly Paid Parking for employees who office from Downtown Location.
Caritas of Austin is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please click here.