Vice President of Communication and Marketing,
Chief Marketing Officer
At UFCU our vision is a financially healthy community. We achieve that through our innovative products and services, our deep community partnerships, and our commitment to positively impacting lives through our impact programs in higher education, employment, and housing affordability. Our new Vice President of Communication and Marketing (VP) will help propel this vision through spreading the word to our Members and throughout the communities we serve. They will have vision, passion and a drive to help our not-for-profit financial cooperative keep moving forward. We welcome a growth mindset and can’t wait to hire someone who has exceptional collaboration skills, is inclusive by nature, and is an exceptional people leader in addition to being at the top of their game as a communication and marketing professional.
Why? Because UFCU has been serving our Members for 85 years, and as a top credit union we know our success is directly tied with our ability to stay relevant and connected with our fundamental mission. We have recently made a pivot to even more heavily embrace our credit union roots. We have embarked on a journey as a social purpose credit union, and we are excited about communicating our impact to our Members and the communities where they live, work and learn. This new VP will be pivotal to doing that successfully. They will enhance our strong operational legacy of operational programs by adding internal stories to our public messaging. We do a considerable amount of unique work in both technology and financial health, and we are looking for a way to voice these to the media and throughout the credit union movement.
This VP will be responsible for co-designing and executing the strategy that will increase UFCU’s brand and engagement among our many Members and partners, which will advance our social purpose through Member growth and engagement. This will contribute to market share and the financial goals of the organization. They will strategically align marketing, corporate communications, public relations (PR), and brand awareness, leading the Communication and Marketing team and serving as a member of the most awesome Executive Team ever. The VP will report directly to the Executive Vice President of Community Impact, Communication and Marketing (EVP).
The ideal candidate will have strong business instincts and a track record of developing wickedly creative solutions. They must possess exceptional communication and people leadership skills. The VP is expected to inspire and motivate a team of professionals and work closely to collaborate with all other functions across the organization to advance our mission and vision. We need someone extraordinarily talented, fun and loveable to fit in with the rest of these amazing people. Is it you?
As Austin’s largest locally-owned financial institution, University Federal Credit Union is a financial institution owned by, dedicated to, and always working for our Members. Our mission at UFCU is simple: to provide for the well-being of our Members. We’re proud to focus on people — not profits. We deliver fair and honest products and outstanding service, and we work collaboratively within our organization as well as our community to help Members achieve their personal and financial goals.
Consistently receiving awards as the Top Credit Union and Top Mortgage Company, UFCU is proud of its people-first culture. We value our employees as much as our Members. We offer an environment where people care about each other – like family. If you want to love what you do, make an impact in your community, and have the power to help people change their lives – then we’re glad you’re here.
- Together with the EVP, develops, implements and oversees the marketing, brand and communication strategies. This includes coordination of creative marketing initiatives, PR, digital platforms, social media, partnership marketing, and internal and external communication.
- Collaboratively develops and executes a comprehensive, long-term and proactive organization-wide communication strategy for internal and external purposes, consistent with the marketing and branding strategic goals and aspirations of the credit union. Serves as a trusted communication advisor.
- Evaluates and reports on Communication and Marketing strategy to the Executive and Senior Leadership, business units and Board of Directors.
- Serves as an active member of the Executive Leadership Team, responsible for collaborating with Senior leadership in creating the organization's overall vision, mission, values, beliefs, and strategic goals.
- Collaborates with outside agencies along with internal and external business stakeholders to develop and implement strategy. Ability to research and understand our brand, our market, and our opportunities.
- Manages Corporate Communication function. Manages Marketing leadership and guides day-to-day operations. Provides effective supervision of all direct and indirect reports, and oversees the functioning of a strong and integrated team. Manages direct report performance and career advancement as well as lead their professional development, training and mentoring.
- Collaborates internally and externally, and leverages key partnerships to support marketing plans, communicate messaging, drive growth, and engage constituents.
- Creates and manages standardized marketing and communication processes, including operating procedures, planning and project management, quality assurance, evaluation and improvement strategy.
- Oversees integrated internal and external communication to internal stakeholders, including corporate initiatives, executive communication, and marketing plans, ensuring understanding and support across the organization.
- Develops and manages the annual communication, marketing and PR operating plan and budget, captures program expenses and ROI, and ensures budget performance and management.
- Engages with internal team and external sources regarding products, services, channels and how they impact our Members and financial health for the community. Develops capabilities of team to do the same.
- Maintains a deep understanding of traditional and innovative marketing trends, utilizes a research based approach to identify key messages and audiences, and works consistently to tell social impact and Member stories by weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the UFCU brand.
- Ability to navigate the nuances of a large organization with multiple stakeholders and priorities
- Team player who operates well in a dynamic, all hands-on deck environment
- Well organized, with the ability to manage multiple tasks on tight deadlines with a great attention to detail
- Strong problem solving, priority-setting and decision-making skills
- Strong commitment to UFCU's vision and role in the community
- Positive, resourceful, and flexible
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Demonstrated progressive management responsibilities at the executive level
- Understanding of media relations and communications
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Leading Change
- Building a Successful Team
- Servant Leadership
- Systems Thinking
- Bachelor's Degree in marketing, public relations, or communication
- 8+ years of senior leadership-level experience in marketing, communications, and/or public relations or related area
- Experience working with C-suite and senior leaders
- Proven track record of delivering impactful internal communications, including message development, communication planning, segmentation and measurement
- Demonstrated experience handling high-profile communication challenges and change management, using sound judgement and persuasively counseling other leaders
- Experience with social purpose, cause-based marketing and PR strategy and tactics
- Experience developing and executing PR/Communication campaigns, including social impact campaigns
- Experience in creative direction
- Professional or volunteer experience with not-for-profit service
- Hands-on expertise in marketing databases and CRM tools
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Google. Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Strong written, verbal, listening, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong idea generator, with the ability to think creatively and innovatively
- Must be bondable
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience leading teams larger than 10
- Experience in marketing, communications, and public relations work on behalf of not-for-profit, non-profit or charitable organizations
Things You Need to Know Before You Apply
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Employee will make extensive use of the telephone and/or virtual communication platforms requiring the ability to effectively and accurately explain complex information.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires frequently working onsite at UFCU Plaza in Austin, Texas.
- This position may involve periodic stressful conditions.
- This position may occasionally require an adjusted work schedule, overtime, and evening/weekend hours.
- This is a public contact position, requiring appropriate professional appearance.
- Frequent computer use at a workstation is required of up to four hours at a time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.