Public Safety Ambassador
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Are you passionate about engaging with the community and community safety? Capital Metro is seeking a great Public Safety Ambassador.
The Public Safety Ambassador reports directly to the Public Safety Supervisor. This position will provide a visible presence on the Capital Metropolitan Transit System and at Capital Metro facilities. This position will help ensure a safe and welcoming environment for customers, visitors, and staff. This position will also provide information and directions to patrons and be an informational conduit to the Capital Metro Operations Center, other Capital Metro departments, and to first responders; as well as assist with various safety and security operations as part of their daily activities while working as first line customer service Ambassadors.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Note: the duties and primary responsibilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this job and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties.
• Respond to calls for service at Capital Metro’s park & rides, bus stops, rail stations, and transit centers looking for unsafe and/or dangerous conditions.
• Provide customer service giving directions, tips, rules, and information associated with Capital Metro services and properties.
• Identify when first responders are needed at a scene and provide any information necessary to ensure their prompt response.
• Conduct safety/security and customer service-related ride-a-longs to engage, inform and educate customers.
• Issue/sell passes for Capital Metro services to customers.
• Assist Capital Metro Public Safety Officers with duties not requiring law enforcement authority.
• Inspect security systems and equipment to ensure operational use and detect and report evidence of tampering, damage and/or malfunction.
• Assist service operators and Capital Metro staff by interacting and providing assistance to riders and the general public.
• Participate in emergency preparedness and response training.
• Support Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Safety Management Systems (SMS) process by following safety and security policies, considering safety in every action and reporting safety and security concerns.
• Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
• High school diploma or GED
• Two (2) years experience providing high level customer service to a diverse customer base.
• Must maintain a valid Texas driver’s license.
• Experience as an armed or unarmed security guard, law enforcement officer, or equivalent position within the military preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of National Incident Management System and/or Incident Command System.
Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to work in a team environment, partnering well with employees, management, users, vendors, contractors and undertake duties and tasks as assigned without requiring close supervision.
• Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to meet established deadlines, populate spreadsheets and write detailed reports.
• Ability to effectively communicate with various individuals with wide ranging levels of education and abilities.
• Ability to stand, walk or travel 90% of the work shift when required.
• Ability to work varying shifts, days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
• Ability to learn and apply de-escalation, anti-bias, problem solving, security/safety awareness trainings, and other training related to the skills needed to perform successfully.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
•Work with a diverse, collaborative and energetic workforce whose focus is to bring innovation into the industry and how we serve our customers and team members.
•When not working remotely, utilize our free and reduced fare transit service to get to the office and then plan to hit the gym (for free) and work with our onsite trainers, before heading back home.
•If you have children between the ages of 6 months and 6 years old, enroll them in the onsite award-winning Child Care and Learning Center.
•…and much more!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Capital Metro is deeply committed to building a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a welcoming and diverse environment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, pregnancy, age, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws. Capital Metro makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organization needs at the time.
PAY RANGE - 21.17 - 26.46 - HOURLY