Economic Development Manager
GAACC is looking for a motivated self starter to join our team to manage our economic development program. This encompasses implementing our advocacy initiative at the state and local levels, supporting the City of Austin's international relationships with Asia, and providing operational support to the CEO.
The manager is responsible for working with the advocacy committee and the board to engage our membership and the APA community on public policy issues that affect APA businesses and international trade, take positions on such policies, create programs to foster relationships with local and state officials, and plan legislative visits with other Texas Asian chambers of commerce when the legislature is in session.
The manager supports the region's economic development initiative, Opportunity Austin together with the Austin Chamber and regional partners. Duties include planning our annual Asia House during SXSW, hosting delegations from Asia and organizing market briefings as appropriate, and working with the City's global division in the planning of GAACC's recruitment trips.
The manager supports the CEO on ad hoc projects and other duties as assigned.
- Multicultural competency as we interact with stakeholders from all over Asia
- Planning and organizational abilities, attention to detail and follow up is a must
- Learning attitude, must be open to learning and able to follow our policies and procedures
- Service focus, we are here to make a difference to APA businesses
- Ability to juggle, we work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Computer skills, MS Office, Google, ability to learn our database
- Work hours, some events are in the evening and a few Saturdays
- Asian language ability highly valued (particularly Korean, South Asian, or Southeast Asian)
Economic development experience is valued but not required as training will be provided. Applicants with international business studies and/or public policy knowledge will receive priority. However, desire to serve the community and ability to learn are more important than direct experience. Career change applicants are encouraged to apply and explain in their cover letter.
This is a full time position. Benefits include health coverage, paid time off, and reimbursement for mileage. You will get to work in a high performing organization, excellent opportunities to learn and grow, exposure to leaders in the APA community and partners throughout Asia.
Please send your resume and cover letter with salary expectations (required) to Diana Nguyen. We will contact qualified applicants for an initial interview and invite shortlisted candidates for an in-person meeting.
GAACC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.